Can u believe there are plants that are illegal
Can you believe there is love that is illegal
can you believe it’s not butter
there are exactly two acceptable endings for sherlock holmes and john watson:
- they die together at the exact same moment, holding hands, when they are like 100 years old
- they are immortal
Once somebody asked me why it’s ‘so important’ for John and Sherlock to be in a romantic relationship. This was my response:
- Because the programme makes frequent references to Sherlock and John being a romantic relationship for comedic effect, and if that is never actualised, that is all they will ever be, and queer people are sick of their queerness being used as a punchline when straightness is very, very rarely used in the same way. This isn’t just offensive, it’s frankly bad writing.
- Because, whether you care about the subtext or not, it is present, and, as romanticjohn put it, queer people are used to looking for that kind of sexual subtext in reality. If that subtext is never actualised, it will have been queerbaiting - teasing a queer audience with the possibility of much-needed representation which, in our media-centric society in which so many of our ideas about who we are come both consciously and subconsciously from what we see on tv (a process called interpellation if you want to look it up) should be a basic right, not something that people hold out hope for.
- Because, although Johnlock couldn’t have been canon in the books due to societal restrictions, the canon did contain plenty of homoerotic subtext which queer critics have been studying since its publication.
- Because only one previous adaptation has ever dipped into the (very popular) queer readings of the Sherlock Holmes canon, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, and the writer, Billy Wilder, had to keep it highly subtextual due, again, to societal constrictons (which no longer exist to nearly the same strength, opening up new possibilities), and Gatiss refers to it as ‘the film that changed my life’.
- Because after over 100 years, people are still asking this question.
1 universe, 9 planets, 7 seas, 7 continents, 809 islands, 204 countries, and I had the unfortunate luck of meeting u
THERE ARE 8 PLANETS, YOU UNCULTURED SWINE.
VIVA LA PLUTO FUCK YOU
I’m pretty sure “Viva la Pluto fuck you” is the best sentence I’ve heard all week.